The duties of this position include the following, consistent with AAPM PP 1-J and MPPG 10.a:
- Responsible for the systematic measurement, documentation, and assurance of the physical and dosimetric aspects of all radioactive sources and/or radiation producing equipment used in Radiation Medicine
- Performs acceptance testing and commissioning of all treatment-related equipment. This includes calibration of all radiation producing sources and maintenance of all information for their appropriate use
- Maintains a comprehensive quality assurance program that ensures patients are provided tumor localization, radiation treatment, and dose distributions as prescribed. This includes assurance of the accuracy of treatment unit parameters
- In collaboration with team, responsible for the development of treatment plans, acquisition and storage of data for treatment plans, calculation of dose distributions and machine settings for treatment delivery. Provides consultation to the Radiation Oncologist, and translates the desired treatment plan into a set of instructions for radiation therapists to execute.
- Participates and becomes competent in the physics support for Brachytherapy
- Ensures that all local and national regulations and accreditation requirements as relating to medical physics are met and maintained. Serves as the radiation safety officer (designee) for the facility or as a member of the institution's Radiation Safety Committee.
- Provides technical oversight of personnel (including, but not limited to, radiation therapists, medical dosimetrists, and service engineers). Establishes training and competency requirements and monitors maintenance of competencies for clinical medical physics tasks.
- Provides institutional consultation on the development of clinical programs that utilize medical physics.
- Participates in clinical education and training programs as needed to provide appropriate clinical training and supervision required for students. Provides formal and informal radiation physics training for all members of the care team necessary for safe and effective care of patients and employee safety.