***Temporary Assignment (6 months in duration)***
The function of the PAS Resource Specialist - Scheduling position within Diagnostic Imaging Services is to provide essential customer service support and guidance to clinics and patients in the areas of financial screening, patient eligibility for services, managed care, and complex patient referrals. The PAS Resource Specialist completes multifaceted, radiology specific, scheduling tasks, with the purpose of assisting, scheduling, and coordinating patient diagnostic imaging appointments in EPIC and RIS. The employee in this position promotes OHSU’s mission statement by delivering high quality, cost effective, family-oriented service excellence. This position helps to create a collaborative environment by integrating education, research, and clinical leadership.
Key Responsibilities & Performance Standards
- Provide high quality customer service to both external customers (patients, referring providers, clinics, insurance carriers) and internal customers (OHSU health care providers, staff) that exceed the service standards of the health care industry.
- This duty includes prompt and professional communication efforts, face-to-face and telephone customer contact skills, crisis management, familiarity with available information technology, standard complaint processing, flexible coverage of internal service needs, and the continuous application of process improvement methods and skills.
Enrollment & Authorization
- Gather and/or verify patient information including demographics, insurance coverage, and financial status.
- Confirm patient eligibility for health care coverage and clarify any managed care arrangements.
- Verify appropriate accounts are active and associated with services to be received.
- Confirm authorizations for imaging procedures.
- Enter all information accurately into OHSU databases or into the medical record when necessary.
- Follow up on pending authorizations until they are obtained.
- Obtains prior medical records and imaging studies if appropriate.
- Answer multi-line telephone, aids with clarifying orders, and notifying clinics of errors.
- Arranges stretchers, wheelchairs, and interpreters when necessary, and accommodate other special needs whenever possible.
- Mail information packets.
- Provide personal reminders to patients about upcoming appointments.
- Schedules multifaceted patient appointments on line, and manually if necessary in all modalities of Diagnostic Imaging Services.
- Maintains current information regarding schedules for resources and providers.
- Serves as liaison and information resource for physicians, nursing support staff, coworkers, IP Admitting Department, Surgery Office, and Periop Services.
- Collects from physician and clinics all information necessary order information to schedule a scan (including ICD10 codes, diagnosis, equipment needs, etc.).
- Facilitates care arrangements by scheduling IRU time, preops, PAT clinic, ancillary and clinical services as needed.
- Applies problem solving and negotiating skills in resolving provider and patient concerns and other imaging related problems.
- Triages and accurately documents telephone calls from patients and referring clinics including requests for appointments, complaints, general information inquiries, and urgent health care concerns.
- Delivers such information or requests promptly to the appropriate providers or their designees.
Clinical Services Resource
- Shares PAS expertise and disseminates PAS information to PAS Specialists within the service area.
- Instructs co-workers as needed in user skills for PAS system software including Order Entry, EPIC cadence scheduling and the Radiology Information System (RIS).
- Maintains a service-based working knowledge of diagnostic and procedural coding and medical terminology.
- Fills in as needed for any subordinate PAS position within the service area.
Managed Care Coordination
- Maintains current information on managed care insurance plans and serves as a liaison and information resources for physicians, nursing support staff, PAS specialists, referring physician offices, patients, Hospital Operations Support and others on authorization requirements; serves as a service area resource ICD10 coding requirements
- Obtains managed care authorizations for consultations, procedures, office visits, care arrangements, and contact other ancillary and clinical services as needed.
- Problem solves and negotiates skills in resolving patient concerns and managed care related problems.