Function as a member of the surgical team, while under the direct supervision and direction of the registered perioperative nurse.
The PPA will provide assistance with cleaning and preparing operating rooms, retrieving and cleaning equipment, retrieving and stocking supplies and related items; supports the environment of the unit or service; supports patient care through assistance with prepping and opening supplies before surgery.
At OHSU, the PPA promotes a culture where we imagine, inspire, engage and excel to ensure we meet every patient's needs.
1. Decontamination and Cleaning: Sorts used soiled instruments and decontaminates by utilizing proper manual and mechanical techniques; decontaminates medical equipment; tests equipment and instruments for proper operation; shelves decontaminated equipment and supplies according to type of equipment, date decontaminated and unit or department using item; cleans hospital equipment such as infusion pumps, suction machines and heating and cooling units; may make minor repairs or refers to repair person; assist in maintaining instrument trays for intubation sets; may operate flash sterilizers according to standards of practice and maintains sterility assurance at all times including transport sterile instruments to the operating room under strict sterile conditions.
2. Cleaning and Sanitizing: Cleans and sanitizes all surfaces and floors in clinical and non-clinical areas.
3. Waste Removal: Collects and empties trash and linen.
4. Patient Transportation. Transports patient using wheelchair or stretcher; assists with patient transfer to procedure table, stretcher, bed or chair.
5. Materials Transportation. Transports equipment, supplies and other materials.
6. Customer Service & Patient Experience: High level engagement to respond to patient and team member requests in a customer-focused and timely manner; effectively utilizes customer service techniques to deliver an excellent patient experience.
7. Patient Care Support: Helps with patient prep and positioning. Assists the OR team with needs and is immediately available inside/outside the OR.
8. Equipment and Room Set up: May function in the role of material assistant including: core support, picking cases, assisting with set up of procedure rooms or ORs.
9. Miscellaneous: Maintaining stock or ordering as needed. May function as part of the Code Blue Team to provide BLS chest compressions during Code Blue Events. Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent and one year work experience in any field.
Ability to communicate well with others.
Ability to safely lift and transfer patients, equipment, supplies.
Must be responsible and properly trained in the transportation of bio-hazardous items within 90 days of hire. A PPA candidate may be required to have a valid BLS certification at time of hire as indicated on the position description.
Hospital or healthcare-related experience.
Experience as a Nurse's Aide or equivalent.
Software Powered by iCIMS