This position provides Intraoperative care to all ophthalmology surgical patients admitted to CEI OR. This includes neonates, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients requiring ophthalmic care encompassing routine to complex diagnoses. Patient care is provided for both in and outpatients on a scheduled as well as emergent basis. 98% of the patients are cared for on an outpatient basis with the remaining 2% being in hospital patients. Regional referral covers the majority of emergency cases, especially for retina service.
The OHSU Clinical registered nurse (RN) provides compassionate, evidence-based, and efficient care to individuals, families, communities and patient populations. The Clinical RN’s care delivery is consistent with the Oregon Nurse Practice Act, the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice, and the ANA Code of Ethics. The Clinical RN demonstrates the professional role obligations of scientist, leader, practitioner, and knowledge transferer [O’Rourke Model of the Professional Role™]. Professional accountability enriches the Clinical RN’s engagement as a leader in promoting an inter-professional culture of collaborative decision-making, innovation, lifelong learning, and teamwork. The Clinical Nurse exemplifies the principles of a Culture of Safety by committing to a Just Culture, a Reporting Culture, Learning Culture, and an Engaged Informed Culture.
Oregon Health & Science University is dedicated to improving the health and quality of life for all Oregonians through excellence, innovation and leadership in health care, education and research.
OHSU Nursing Vision
As professional nurses, we partner with our community and each other to provide innovative, compassionate and excellent patient-centered care.
Nursing Core Values
Nursing embraces core values that serve as a foundation for the delivery of quality patient care:
Nursing’s Independent Scope of Practice: ANA Social Policy Statement, 3rd edition Nursing is the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, facilitation of healing, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
Scientist: Evaluates knowledge of self and others:
Leader: Uses an evidence-based decision making process to determine the patient’s priority goals and care activities:
Practitioner: Develops a therapeutic relationship with patients and families:
Knowledge Transfer: Collaborates with the patient/family in developing a teaching plan to meet learning needs.
Associate or Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from a program accredited by Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)
Associate Degree Nurses required to enroll in BSN program within 3 years of hire and complete within 5 years of hire.
Minimum of 1 year of current inpatient perioperative surgical nursing experience, OR
Completion of an academic senior year Immersion / Integrated Practicum in an intraoperative setting with a minimum of 180 clinical hours.
Current, unencumbered Oregon RN license
Current BLS certification at the provider level through the American Heart Association is required at time of hire
Current ACLS issued by AHA required at time of hire
Current PALS certification issued by AHA required at time of hire
BSN preferred to internal candidates.
At least 2 years of experience in surgical setting which includes the specialty of Ophthalmology
Software Powered by iCIMS