OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, known as one of the pioneers in personalized cancer medicine, is an international leader in research and cancer treatment. Driven by its mission to end cancer as we know it, the institute is building upon its expertise in targeted treatments to advance the early detection of cancer when the disease is most treatable.
An exciting opportunity has been created for an experienced researcher to join Dr. Theodore Braun’s laboratory as a Research Assistant 2 at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, OR.
The primary goal of the Braun Laboratory is to understand how changes in the epigenome influence the development of blood cancers. We employ a variety of high sensitivity and single cell methods to understand how early oncogenic mutations alter the epigenetic landscape of developing blood cells driving progression to cancer. We conduct this work using cell lines, mouse models and primary patient samples, enabling us to develop a comprehensive mechanistic understanding of biologic mechanisms.
We are looking to hire a Research Assistant 2 to support our ongoing projects investigating the epigenetic basis of myeloid malignancies. This position will involve working closely with graduate students and post-doctoral fellows on projects aimed at defining new oncogenic mechanisms in these diseases as well as defining new treatment approaches. Job duties will involve conducting cell culture and mouse model experiments in these areas of investigation as well as mouse colony and general laboratory maintenance responsibilities. Applicants will need to possess strong organizational and communication skills as well as the ability to work independently. Some weekend work is required.
Bachelor’s degree and laboratory experience in molecular/cellular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, cancer biology or a related field is preferred. Salary will be commensurate with experience. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is capable and willing to make maximum use of excellent facilities and a productive environment.
Duties will include:
1. Every Knight Cancer employee is expected to embody our guiding principles:
2. Molecular and cellular biology assays, flow cytometry, mammalian cell culture, biochemistry assays, utilization of in-vivo models and associated techniques, cell isolation and DNA/RNA purification from bacterial cultures, mammalian cell cultures, in-vivo models and patient samples.
3. Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; keep detailed and accurate laboratory records; tabulate data, perform calculations, prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate, format and/or perform statistical analysis of data. May assist with preparation of figures, tables and reports for publications and grants. Perform preliminary interpretation of results to determine whether they are consistent with experimental goals.
4. Operate a variety of instruments and scientific equipment, including quality control and maintenance. May order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies or prepare chemical solutions.
5. Read literature applicable to research areas as required and actively participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions. May be asked to present data to group in a seminar format, and/or at scientific meetings.
Education & Experience:
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
Education & Experience:
Please submit a resume and cover letter for your application to be considered.
Please note: As of Oct. 18, 2021, all OHSU employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated means you have received both doses of a two-dose, or one dose of a single-dose, FDA- or WHO-authorized COVID-19 vaccine and at least 14 days have passed since your final dose of COVID-19 vaccine. If you apply for and are offered a position, you must be fully vaccinated prior to starting work.
If the position you are offered does not require direct, in-person patient care contact, you may request an exception to the vaccine policy for medical or religious reasons. OHSU uses very narrow criteria under the law to allow an exception and very few requests are being approved.
Software Powered by iCIMS